Pages

Wednesday 18 July 2012

Nelson Mandela is 94 -Happy Birthday Madiba


Former US president Bill Clinton and his daughter, Chelsea, visited Nelson Mandela at his home in Qunu, Eastern Cape, to wish him happy birthday. Mandela’s wife, Graça Machel, was also there.

The Clintons spent more than an hour at Mandela’s peach-coloured homestead overlooking the N2.

Before their visit, Clinton and Chelsea accompanied Machel to the nearby No-Moscow Primary School to open a library and deliver a container of books. Clinton said he and his family had become involved after being invited by Machel to fund a project at the school.

“I think (Mandela’s) life is one of the most important ever lived in the history of civilisation,” Clinton told pupils. “I think that for me and my life and my family’s life, he made it much better, he taught us a lot about how to live and taught us a lot about how to overcome adversity. I think that’s what I want for everyone.”

Principal Adelaide Madyibi said she and the school’s 228 pupils were proud to welcome the Clintons and Machel.

“I feel so lucky and happy to be in Madiba’s area. It’s even nice just to look at his house. Other people take trips to come and see his house, but we can see it from the school. Also, whenever we see his helicopter, we take the children out of the class to wave to him.

“If I could be the Creator, I would add another 94 years so he can live to 188 years. I think he suffered a lot and brought us democracy. Now he needs to relax at home and enjoy being with his family.”

The Clintons and Machel later joined relatives of Mandela for a tree-planting ceremony at the community garden across the road from Madiba’s home.

Nelson Mandela Date of birth - July 18, 1918

Culled: iol

1 comment: